Swap BTC core?

This is where you get help from other fellow node operators.
tolerable

Swap BTC core?

Post by tolerable »

Hello,

I am nicely awaiting for my first myNode to be synced with the BTC core. It's been taking a number of days - which is what the Getting Started states. I would like to switch out my HDD though to an SSD.

So, I am wondering about starting up another myNode - to get it syncing with the BTC core (in parallel to my original mentioned above). This time, I would be loading the BTC core onto an SSD.

Question: can I swap drives with stored BTC cores between myNodes? (I would do a proper shut down - obviously not do a 'hot swap')
Will each node recognize the core file...and pick up synchronizing of the file from where it last left off - no matter which node it was?

I look forward to a response.

Thanks.
Wiredancer
URL: https://lntxbot.com/@wiredancer

Re: Swap BTC core?

Post by Wiredancer »

Hello.
If it is first synchronization and it just didn't finish yet it should be no problem. Once the node is up and you setup wallet those data will be saved on the hdd and when you swap it will also swap the wallet and other configurations. As soon as the setup is done hdd is where all the data regarding the node are stored, sdcard can be reflashed, formatted or change without problem.
Did you find my post helpful?
Why not send me few sats?
:arrow: Get LN QR code.
Happy routing!
tolerable

Post by tolerable »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

That makes sense to me with finalizing the set up first.

My goal is trying to prevent swapping in an empty ssd & have to wait for the synchronization all over again (which I hope will be quicker than an hdd...?) I understand I would have the dashboard functionality available to me (through the sdcard). I am just concerned that I would have to wait for that synchronization to complete again before my wallets would be able to recognize my transaction...?

Thanks.
Wiredancer

Post by Wiredancer »

Yes, you have to wait for blockchain to sync to see your transactions.
SSD does sync faster, but it still takes time. You could possibly just finish the sync on your old hdd and then copy / use mynode clone tool to move blockchain files (the ones that take all the time to sync) to ssd.
Happy routing!
tolerable

Post by tolerable »

I didn't realize the clone tool existed. That sounds like a good approach.

Much appreciated advice. :)
Wiredancer

Post by Wiredancer »

I had some difficulties using it last time, so I can't say for sure it will work fine, but the tool is there so that would be an option.
Happy routing!